Travel Documents Advice

Travel Documents Advice

If you are a non-British national in the UK and do not hold a passport from your country of origin, you can, in certain circumstances, apply for a travel document to be issued by the Home Office.
Check below the types of travel documents issued by the Home Office.

UK Immigration Experts

We have years of experience when it comes to dealing with UK Immigration Applications. Let MWG help you manage the process.

Detailed Case Evaluation and Support

Our UK Immigration Solicitors will carry out a detailed evaluation of your case and advise you on the best course of action to secure your future

Strive for Excellence

Our customer care team ensures that your case is dealt in a way that causes you as little distress as possible.

Travel Document issued under the 1951 UN Convention (Blue cover):

This travel document is only issued by the Home Office to those who have already been recognised as refugees under the 1951 convention and granted leave under this category. Family members can also apply for leave under this category if they have been granted the leave as a refugee or their dependent. This travel document is usually valid for ten years or in line with your leave.

Which countries can I travel to if I have been issued with a travel document under the 1951 Convention?

You will only be permitted to travel to any country except for the country where you sought asylum from. However, it is important that you check with the country’s Embassy whether that country will admit you before travelling.

Travel Document issued under the 1954 UN Convention (Red Cover):

This travel document is issued to those individuals considered stateless under the requirements of the 1954 UN Convention. This travel document is usually valid for ten years or in line with your leave.

Certificate of Travel (Black Cover):

This is usually issued to those individuals who do not hold refugee status or are not considered stateless. This document is valid for up to 5 years or in line with your leave in the UK. Importantly, this document is issued at the discretion of the Secretary of State, if you meet the following criteria:
  • You have ILR or Permanent residence status in the UK.
  • You have been granted Humanitarian Protection or Discretionary Leave to Remain in the UK, following a refusal of your asylum claim.
  • You will be expected to provide evidence that your asylum claim was refused and that you are unable to obtain a passport from your country of origin.
Contact Info


Colonnade House 163 Kingsway Manchester M19 2ND


0161 835 2446


Irfan Munir

Salman Iqbal

Need Help?

We Would love to hear from you

Contact us

For support on your travel documents, get in touch with our immigration solicitors on 0161 835 2446 or use the contact form below.

General Questions

Frequently Asked Questions.

We may be able to offer you an initial consultation, depedning on the nature of your enquiry. Please call us on 0161 835 2446 to speak to a member of our team.

To find out more about our fees, please visit the fees section on our website.

In the event the client is unable to visit us, our team can offer telephone appointments. To find out more please contact us.

Currently we are unable to offer legal aid. However we would always encourage you to contact  our team to see if we have options available for you.


Send us a Message